ABOUT SHORT COURSES:
Whitecliffe College of Arts and Design, New Zealand's leading private arts and design institution, offers a short course programme of Evening classes, Holiday workshops and Weekend workshops. These courses are taught by professional artists, designers and lecturers, and in the majority of cases are suitable for beginners.
- “From 2D to 3D. How can a computer help me make art?” with Peter Gibson Smith
- “Write Here. Write Now.” with Cushla Parekowhai
- “What to paint? How to paint it?” with Sam Mitchell
- “Experimental image making” with Kenneth Merrick
- “Sculpture- Armature and Mould Making” with Oleg Polounine
- “Alternative Photographic processes” with Julie Downie
- “Discover your inner voice through drawings and Illustration” with Marcela Diaz
- “Super Suite – An Introduction to Adobe’s Creative Suite” with Paul Shadbolt
- “One Day intensive figure drawing workshop” with Julia Teale
SHORT COURSES - Term 1 - 2017
- 6PM TO 9PM - ONE EVENING PER WEEK
- 6 SESSIONS OVER 7 WEEKS
- 3D printing and 3D Design with Anita Frost and Seamus Rowe
- Introduction to INDESIGN® and PHOTOSHOP® with Paul Shadbolt
- The Contract with Toby Raine
- Textile Design and fabric screen printing with Katie Smith
- Introduction to sewing and drafting with Nazneen Sethna
- Figure drawing for fashion or illustration with Paul Hooker
- Introduction to drawing with Daphne Simons
- Introduction to Digital Photography with Treve Dromgool
- Intermediate Digital Photography with Treve Dromgool
2017 SHORT COURSE CALENDAR
- Please note the continuing education courses occur on Whitecliffe's university calendar and don't align with the general school calendar.
- Also, Whitecliffe runs a workshop week each term for the graduating students and for this special assignment week, all the studios need to be available for the students. Therefore, the short courses have a "break" week half way through the term.
You can download our PDF calendar for the 2017 Continuing Education programme HERE.
Please ensure you can attend each class by checking the 2017 terms dates below:
MONDAY CLASS - 20 February to 3 April (no class on 13 March)
TUESDAY CLASS - 21 February to 4 April (no class on 14 March)
WEDNESDAY CLASS - 22 February to 5 April (no class on 15 March)
THURSDAY CLASS - 23 February to 6 April (no class on 16 March)
MONDAY CLASS - 24 April to 12 June (no class on 17 May AND on 5 June)
No class on Queen's Birthday Monday- Extra class on Monday 12 June
TUESDAY CLASS - 2 May to 13 June (no class on 16 June)
Tuesday classes start and finish one week later because of ANZAC day
WEDNESDAY CLASS - 26 April to 7 June (no class on 17 May)
THURSDAY CLASS - 27 April to 8 June (no class on 18 May)
MONDAY CLASS - 17 July to 28 August (no class on 7 August)
TUESDAY CLASS - 18 July to 29 August (no class on 8 August)
WEDNESDAY CLASS - 19 July to 30 August (no class on 9 August)
THURSDAY CLASS - 20 July to 31 August (no class on 10 August)
MONDAY CLASS - 18 September to 6 November (no class on 9 October)
No class on Labour Monday - extra class on Monday 6 November
TUESDAY CLASS - 19 September to 31 October (no class on 10 October)
WEDNESDAY CLASS - 20 September to 1 November (no class on 11 October)
THURSDAY CLASS - 21 September to 2 November (no class on 12 October)
SUMMER SCHOOL 2017
16 to 20 January
IMPORTANT INFORMATION, TERMS AND CONDITIONS
VISA AND STUDENT LOAN:
Short Courses offered under the Continuing Education Programme at Whitecliffe are non-graduating (non-credit) which means that students enrolled in any of the courses are NOT eligible for a student loan and will not receive a certificate or a diploma. These course are not full time and while international students are welcome to enrol in them if in New Zealand on valid visa, the courses do not create eligibility for a student visa to study in New Zealand.
International or New Zealand Students interested in full time study in arts or design are advised to consider an application to the Certificate Programmes and Bachelor of Fine Arts programmes offered at Whitecliffe.
Students do not need to have completed a course in the previous term in order to enrol in a current or future term.
Courses are open to all people aged 14 years and over unless specified otherwise in the course description. No qualifications or experience are necessary unless specified in the course description.
A material list will be provided with confirmation of enrolment.
All courses run at the Balfour Road Campus in Parnell, Auckland, New Zealand. We do not currently provide online courses.
For your security, the Whitecliffe campus is protected by a key pad access system. As part of your course fee you will be given a key pad access code on the first class of your course which will give you access to Whitecliffe during your scheduled classes.
Whitecliffe College of Arts & Design is a Tertiary Education provider and as such follows the University calendar. Therefore some courses may start on a school holiday week.
Terms at Whitecliffe run over a seven-week period, but evening courses consist of six classes which run from 6pm - 9pm on weekday evenings. Each class will therefore have a one week break in the fourth week of classes when Whitecliffe Undergraduate Workshops are held. If a class needs to be cancelled, it will run on the next available day or by arrangement between the tutor and students.
PAYMENT AND REFUND TERMS:
Full payment is required to confirm your place in any course.
Fees quoted are for each course.
If you are not able to pay by credit card through Eventbrite, contact the office on 09 309 5970 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information about other types of payment available (Eftpos, Cash and Direct Credit).
If a course is cancelled by Whitecliffe you will be advised and your course fee will be refunded. This may occur at short notice if the minimum number of participants has not been reached.
If you withdraw from a course more than five working days before the course start date, your course fee will be refunded minus a $50 administration charge.
If you withdraw from a course five working days or less beforehand, you will receive a 50% refund of your course fee minus a $50 administration charge.
NO REFUND OR TRANSFER WILL BE GIVEN AFTER A COURSE HAS STARTED.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Whitecliffe reserves the right to modify the fees, scheduled time and course structure.
Whitecliffe may suspend an enrolment if false information has been supplied or required information is not supplied by the due date.
Whitecliffe can archive, display or utilise any artistic material generated during the course of study.
Whitecliffe may collect, store and use any personal and course related customer information for internal purposes, or as requested by the Tertiary Education Commission, the New Zealand Qualifications Authority or other Government agencies in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993. Customers are entitled to request to see personal information held about them by Whitecliffe College of Arts & Design.