STUDENT NOTICE - COMPLAINTS and GRIEVANCE PROCEDURES 2017
As members of Whitecliffe College community, students are provided with appropriate channels to air grievances, propose changes and negotiate conditions or regulatory matters with Whitecliffe College. Difficulties are often the result of a simple breakdown in communications and a primary goal of this policy is to facilitate constructive communication and resolution of difficulties. As ultimate responsibility for resolution of complaints and/or grievances resides with the Whitecliffe College Chief Executive, the CE may intervene in these procedures at any stage to offer a resolution.
Students (full-time, part-time, alumni) are expressly required to follow any enquiries, grievances, complaints or appeal through the designated channels. If, at any stage of these procedures, the designated authority is the subject of the complaint or grievance, a Dean, the Chief Executive or the Whitecliffe College President may replace that individual.
If students’ concerns are not resolved by the internal grievance procedures, international students can contact the
iStudent Complaints an independent service provided by the New Zealand government that can help resolve concerns and complaints that are about money or contracts with an education provider. The service is free. Website www.istudent.org.nz
International phone number: +64 4 918 4975
Freephone (within New Zealand) 0800 00 66 75
COMPLAINTS RELATIVE TO INSTRUCTION
Students having complaints relative to instruction (e.g. grading, instructional procedure, etc.) should seek resolution of their concerns through the following procedure.
- Speak directly to the lecturer involved. If the problem is not resolved (or if the nature of the complaint is such that the student is uncomfortable confronting the lecturer directly) students should contact a Dean or Associate Dean.
- The Dean or Associate Dean will attempt to resolve the problem through consultation with the student and the lecturer (and the HOD if appropriate).
- The Dean or Associate Dean, if unable to resolve the problem to the student's satisfaction, will refer the complaint, with written impressions, to the Dean of Instruction and Undergraduate Studies.
While this is the preferred procedure, students may, at any time, bring their concerns directly to the attention of the Chief Executive. Students should realise, however, that, in the absence of extenuating circumstances, they will be directed to follow the normal procedure.
In the case of a dispute over assessment, the Lecturer, Associate Dean, or Dean, may convene a Moderation Committee, composed of lecturers and/or external professionals or academics not currently involved in providing tuition to the student, to review the assessment in question.
COMPLAINTS NOT RESOLVED WITHIN WHITECLIFFE
may be forwarded to the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA)
PO Box 160, Wellington, Phone: 0800 HELP (0800 72 4357), Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Students should only contact NZQA or the Ministry of Education when Whitecliffe College’s internal systems have not been effective in resolving the complaint.
Staff members are available to help with any student’s reasonable needs by meeting with them to discuss their personal, educational or vocational concerns. Any of the faculty or staff can advise on minor matters however it is recommended as a general guide that students approach:
- Lecturer – For any problems experienced in particular classes.
- Dean, Associate Dean, HOD, Undergraduate Programme coordinator,
- International Student Liaison Officer. For organisational problems regarding the course, problems with assignments, projects and lecturers, which cannot be resolved by speaking to the lecturer directly. This includes problems with assessments and evaluations. Any personal problems affecting learning performance and/or attendance can also be directed to these figures.
If complex problems arise, the student will be referred to professional services.
- Dean of Instruction and Undergraduate Studies. Any problems relating to teaching or instruction which students cannot resolve through any of the above.
- Business Manager – Any problems relating to finances and fees.
STUDENT COMPLAINTS OVER OTHER MATTERS
(e.g. Personal problems, finances, discrimination, harassment, staff behaviour, etc.) should seek resolution of their concerns through the following procedure:
- Speak directly to the individual involved (e.g. Fellow student or staff member).
- If the problem is not resolved (or if the nature of the complaint is such that the student is uncomfortable confronting the primary individual directly) students should contact an Associate dean or the international Student Liaison Officer, or another senior administrator.
- The Associate Dean or Liaison Officer will discuss the matter with the student and provide full information on available courses of action.
- The Associate Dean or Liaison Officer will attempt to resolve the problem through consultation with the student and other members of Whitecliffe College community as appropriate.
- The Associate Dean or Liaison Officer, if unable to resolve the problem to the student's satisfaction, will refer the complaint, with written impressions, to a Dean.
While this is the preferred procedure, students may, at any time, bring their concerns directly to the attention of the Dean, Chief Executive. Students should realise, however, that, in the absence of extenuating circumstances, they will be directed to follow the normal procedure.
For further information, see Lynnemaree Patterson
Undergraduate Student Co-ordinator
Phone 309 5970, ext 727 Email email@example.com