TUTOR: PETRA LUDVIGSON
THIS 6 WEEK COURSE WILL RUN EACH WEDNESDAY EVENING FROM 31 JULY TO 4 SEPTEMBER
EACH CLASS WILL START AT 6PM AND FINISH AT 9PM
This class is an introduction to using acrylic paints designed for beginners or for those who would like to brush up on the fundamentals of painting.
With a new subject each week ranging from Portraits, Still Life, and Landscapes through to Abstracts, Grisaille, and Impressionism, using practical exercises students will learn about colour theory, how to mix paint, using a limited palette, and basic design elements such as balance and composition and creating shape and form.
Detailed handouts will be provided each week along with extra exercises for students who wish to further their artistic development between sessions.
This course is suitable for beginners. Please bring the following materials to the first class:
• Surfaces to paint on (pre-primed canvas pad or heavy weight paper with gesso)
• Large bull clips
• Paint brushes (a range of sizes) including 1 large flat-headed for quickly painting the whole canvas
• Acrylic Paints (Titanium white, Zinc white, Cadmium yellow light, Yellow Ochre, Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium red, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine blue, Phtalo Blue, Ivory Black)
• 4B pencil, eraser and pencil sharpener
• Jar for water
• Sunlight soap is good for cleaning paint off brushes
• Palette knife
• Old fabric rags and paper towels for mopping up accidents
• Old clothes or aprons (you will have a better experience if you are not afraid of ruining your good clothes)
• Glazing medium - Soft Gel Gloss (by Golden) Palette - e.g. flat white tray or clear glass surface for mixing paint on mirror for self-portraits
About Petra Ludvigson:
Petra Ludvigson is an abstract expressionist painter with a background in conceptual art. Starting her training at ASA in 1996 and graduating with a BVA from AUT in 2006, she has enjoyed a 20 yr+ relationship with the Auckland art world.
Utilizing line and texture, her work explores the female form as an abject location. Desire, objectification, expectation, possession, reproduction, power and control…. the female body becomes occupied and the self is leaked out.
Alongside her own art practice and teaching adult education, Petra runs art therapy groups for people living with dementia and adults with special needs.
EVENING COURSES - TERM 3
WEDNESDAYS 6 PM - 9 PM FOR 6 WEEKS
$300.00 PER TERM
ENROLMENTS NOW OPEN UNTIL 22 JULY
Please read the short courses frequently asked questions and the terms and conditions
This course will run throughout the year. Please check the 2019 Short Courses Calendar for the terms dates.
For any question regarding this course, please contact us directly.