Whitecliffe recently welcomed Fashion Design students and faculty from Pearl Academy in New Delhi, India for a three-week International Winter Fashion School programme organized by the Whitecliffe Continuing Education and Fashion Design departments. The 3-week course included attending workshops within the Whitecliffe Fashion Design Department, lectures with prominent NZ fashion designers and a chance to explore and travel around New Zealand. Programme highlights also included:
• Familiarising the students with New Zealand and Maori culture
• Meeting with prominent New Zealand designers, who employ sustainable and ethical practices (such as Zambesi, Liz Mitchell, Ovna Ovich, Kowtow or Maggie Marilyn)
• Attendance at practical workshops in fabric dyeing, embroidery, flax weaving, paper making, and an up-cycling project making bags from sampling squares
• Visits to museums
• Participation in several day trips to outstanding scenic areas and Maori cultural attractions
• Attendance at lectures on New Zealand Art
• Conversation with Whitecliffe Fashion Design lecturers on ethical and sustainable contemporary fashion
This comes as part of a longstanding relationship the Whitecliffe Fashion Design Department has established with Pearl Academy over the last few years. Whitecliffe has been awarded the Prime Minister's Scholarship for Asia both in 2015 and 2017. Our students have visited and attended workshops with Pearl Academy students on both occasions.
HOLIDAY and TASTER PROGRAMMES
Whitecliffe can provide holiday and short-stay taster programmes on a wide variety of arts and design subjects for groups of international students who would like to combine a New Zealand visit with an arts and design learning experience.
To discuss options: Contact HOD Continuing Education - Anne-Sophie Adelys firstname.lastname@example.org