Coming to Auckland New Zealand

View Videos of  Living and Studying in Auckland

Live and Learn in New Zealand

Immigration New Zealand

Full details on visa requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service and can be viewed on their website

Student Visas

As an international student you are required to have a current visa which is specific to your place of study. Whitecliffe will not allow any student to commence study at Whitecliffe until they have been issued with a visa which specifies Whitecliffe is your place of study.

The New Zealand Immigration Department will grant you a Student Visa which you will need to renew each year unless you have been granted a Pathway Visa. For further information visit their website:

Tuition Fees for each academic year must be paid in full to the Public Trust office before your visa application can be filed with Immigration New Zealand.

Please see the Application Process information for greater detail.

Living Expenses in Auckland

Where a student chooses a Home-stay option the cost will be between $245 and $280 per week which includes breakfast, dinner and accommodation.

The Study Auckland website has further information but in general:

  • Rent: $150 to $300 a week
  • Groceries: $80 to $100 a week
  • Entertainment: $50 to $80 a week
  • Lunches and takeaway food: $60 a week

Student Work Rights

 Students living and studying in New Zealand on a student visa are entitled to:

  • work up to 20 hours per week during term time (while they are studying)
  • work full time during the holiday periods.

The minimum wage in New Zealand is currently (2017) $15.75 per hour

Eligibility for Health Services

Most students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you will be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details of entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at


If you have any other questions before you apply, please email the International Student Liaison Co-ordinator at

Code of Practice

Whitecliffe College of Arts & Design abides by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of international students to ensure that the recruitment, supply of information, and contextual dealings with international students are conducted in an ethical and responsible manner, and meets the particular needs of international students through its support services as outlined in the code. You can get more information about the Code of Practice by visiting:

Medical and Travel Insurance

All international students are required to have Health & Travel Insurance while studying in New Zealand. This is to safeguard against financial loss, through loss or destruction of property, accident or illness. Insurance policies have been specifically designed to cover your time spent in New Zealand , and your journey to and from New Zealand. You may claim baggage damage or loss, travel delay, documents and money. When you need medical treatment, you claim the cost from your insurance company.

Southern Cross Healthcare are very reliable and cost effective. Their details are: Private Bag 99 934 Newmarket, Auckland. Phone: 0800 800 571

Driving in New Zealand

  • If you have a full driver's licence from your home country you can drive in New Zealand for 12 months without getting a New Zealand licence. After this time you will need to change it.
  • We drive on the left hand side, all occupants in a car must wear seat belts and it is illegal to use a hand-held cellphone to talk or send/read text messages.
  • Our distances are signposted in kilometres and our speed limits are in kilometres per hour. The maximum speed on motorways and in rural areas is 100kph. In the city the default limit is 50kph.
  • We drive clockwise around roundabouts (turning circles), giving way to the right. You must stop at a stop sign and for a red traffic light.
  • The alcohol limit for drivers under 20 years old is zero, and for those over 20 it is 0.05% or 250mcg/litre of breath.
  • To help stay safe on the roads in New Zealand, check out the following resources as they will provide you more detail about driving:

Free Road Code quiz -

in English, Spanish, German and Chinese, covering the essential information, signs and road markings you need to know

NZTA's visitor driver guidelines and transport information -

links to travel resources and information about your driving licence

Tourism NZ's guide to driving in New Zealand -

an overview of driving in New Zealand.