Immigration Details

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at


As an international student you are required to have a current Visa while you are studying. The New Zealand Immigration Department will grant you a Student Visa which you will need to renew each year. A Visa must be renewed four weeks prior to expiry. For further information visit their website:

If you are applying from overseas, New Zealand Immigration requires the Whitecliffe fees to be paid before Visas are issued. A receipt can be posted or faxed to the applicant as soon as the fees are received. Fees can be paid by telegraphic transfer into the Whitecliffe bank account.

Work Permits

International students can apply to New Zealand Inland Revenue Department for a Visa to work 15 hours per week while studying here. This can be done after you have arrived in New Zealand.

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at


If you have any other questions before you apply, please email the International Student Liaison Co-ordinator at Short Courses Competition

Code of Practice

Whitecliffe College of Arts & Design abides by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of international students as established under Section 238F of the education Act 1989 to ensure that the recruitment, supply of information, and contextual dealings with international students are conducted in an ethical and responsible manner, and meets the particular needs of international students through its support services as outlined in the code. You can get more information about the Code of Practice by visiting:

Medical and Travel Insurance

All international students are required to have Health & Travel Insurance while studying in New Zealand. This is to safeguard against financial loss, through loss or destruction of property, accident or illness. Insurance policies have been specifically designed to cover your time spent in New Zealand , and your journey to and from New Zealand. You may claim baggage damage or loss, travel delay, documents and money. When you need medical treatment, you claim the cost from your insurance company.

Southern Cross Healthcare are very reliable and cost effective. Their details are: Private Bag 99 934 Newmarket, Auckland. Phone: 0800 800 571

Eligibility for Health Services

Most students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you will be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details of entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at